I signed up for a few trials before the Black Friday sales to test out some different providers and their download speeds.
- All testing was performed on NZBGet 17.1
- My maximum download speed is 100Mbp/s or 14MB/s which does not drop throughout the day.
- My internet connection is on cable provided by Telstra.
- All stats below from NZBGet's Statistics and Stats page which is reset when NZBGet is reloaded.
- All but one provider were tested on their free trial.
- Only providers with SSL were used.
- I used up all available connections advertised by the provider.
|Provider||Advertised (MB/s)||Real (MB/s)||Length||Downloaded||Notes|
|CheapNews||15||5.46||1 year||2.1TB||My old provider|
|Usenet.Farm||N/A||4.44||5 days||7.5GB||10GB Trial|
|Giganews||N/A||7.19||6 days||10GB||10GB Trial|
|UsenetBucket||N/A||11.8||7 days||18GB||7 Day / 25GB Trial|
|TweakNews||2.5||2.07||5 days||10GB||7 Day / 10GB Trial|
|EasyNews||N/A||13.5||14 days||162GB||14 Day / 10 GB Trial, which kept going|
|Newsdemon||Unlimited||11.1||5 days||14GB||15GB Trial|
|Newsgroupdirect (US)||Unlimited||13.5||7 days||50GB||EU servers @ 7MB/s|
|Frugal (US)||N/A||12.0||10 days||38GB||EU servers @ 6.8MB/s|
Best performers which saturated my 100Mbps / 14MBs connection were:
I ended up signing with Frugal Usenet on their Black Friday special for $3.99 per month. I decided against the $40 a year in case of a rainy day over on the Highwinds network.
Share your own results if you're from Sydney so we can get a complete list going :smile: